OAK BROOK, IL--(Marketwired - May 12, 2016) -
- New Strawberry Orange Mango Smoothie created for northern California joins the McCafé Family with a strawberry puree that is made with strawberries 100% grown from the Central Coast of California
- Hand-prepared Strawberry Lemonades, Strawberry Banana Smoothies & Fruit 'N Yogurt Parfaits available this summer
We all know strawberries are beautiful and taste fantastic. But do we really know how truly amazing strawberries are?
McDonald's sources strawberries used in its McCafé Strawberry Orange Mango Smoothie, Strawberry Banana Smoothie, Strawberry Lemonades, and Fruit 'N Yogurt Parfaits from the berry important state of California between July and May.
According to the California Strawberry Commission, strawberries are known as "America's Favorite Fruit" and we agree! Strawberries are the perfect choice if you're looking for something sweet or tart. McDonald's is one of the nation's largest restaurant purchasers of strawberries grown in a 500-mile swath of California from San Diego to San Francisco.
Getting strawberries from field to restaurant is a quickly choreographed dance. Six days a week, strawberries for McDonald's restaurants are picked by hand and only the freshest are chosen. They are gently washed, sorted, sliced and either quickly flash-frozen or puréed to ensure the best flavor and appearance. Suppliers then use strawberry purée blended with fruit juices to make the McCafé Smoothie base and strawberries are shipped to restaurants for Fruit N' Yogurt Parfaits to be prepared in the kitchens.
Behind the counter in McDonald's kitchens, crew members blend smoothies using a strawberry purée, yogurt and ice and twice daily prepare Fruit 'N Yogurt parfaits for customers.
Taste for yourself
- McCafé Strawberry Orange Mango Smoothie was created for McDonald's restaurants in northern California and is made with a strawberry puree that uses strawberries 100% grown from the Central Coast of California. It will be available at all McDonald's restaurants in northern California from now through October 2016.
- McCafé Strawberry Lemonade combines lemonade with strawberry purée poured over ice and garnished with a lemon slice. This delicious drink is available in the Chicagoland area from May 16 until August 2016.
- McCafé Frozen Strawberry Lemonade combines lemonade with a puree-base strawberry syrup and blended with ice. This refreshing drink is also available in the Chicagoland area from May 16 until August 2016.
- McCafé Strawberry Banana Smoothie combines strawberry banana smoothie base with ice and creamy low-fat yogurt. This flavorful blend is available nationwide.
- Fruit 'N Yogurt Parfaits combines low-fat vanilla yogurt layered with plump blueberries, sweet strawberries all topped with crunchy granola. This 150-calorie hand-prepared parfait is available nationwide and served all day.
With its combination of warm days, ocean breezes and cool foggy evenings, California's coastline produces more than 88 percent of the nation's strawberries, according to the California Strawberry Commission. California's strawberry fields are within 15-20 miles of the Pacific Ocean and the optimal locale for growing delicious strawberries.
Meet Sunrise Growers
McDonald's works closely with multiple suppliers to assure its supply, including Sunrise Growers in California.
Sunrise Growers is a multi-generational family-farm that supplies strawberries for McDonald's restaurants.
"The beauty of freezing strawberries for McDonald's is that we are able to pick the berries at the absolute peak of ripeness -- locking in all the flavor, color and nutrition by washing, sorting, freezing and packing the berries within 12 hours of them being hand-picked from plants in our growers fields," said Ed Haft, CEO of Sunrise Growers, one of the largest strawberry suppliers for McDonald's.
All farms producing strawberries for McDonald's are audited by third-parties during each harvest season. Strawberries are packed into refrigerated trucks to their destinations. Independent, third party companies inspect every load of strawberries for quality, color, firmness, and character to ensure a great experience when you visit McDonald's.
Berry Important Facts*:
1. Strawberries are a member of the rose family
2. Watsonville, California is the largest growing region in California
3. California produces 90 percent of the nation's strawberries
4. The "green hat" that tops the strawberry is known as the Calyx
5. 200 little seeds are on the outside of a strawberry
6. There are about 37,000 acres of strawberries in California
7. Strawberries have more vitamin C in one serving than an orange
8. Strawberries are low in sugar and have 45 calories in a cup
9. About 400 family farmers grow strawberries in California
10. 1.7 billion pounds of fresh strawberries were shipped in the U.S. last year
*Content courtesy of California Strawberry Commission